Friday, February 20, 2009

A growing quiver

Jacob's 6th birthday is in 6 days and he has been praying that our new baby would be a brother ("so I can play 'bad guy' with him"). Today he got his birthday present a little early. This was by far the best delivery Sharon has had and she feels remarkably well. We only spent 1 1/2 hours in the hospital before delivery, since we had chosen to spend most of the labor time at home in more natural surroundings.

Philip Christian was born at 3:54 pm on his due date, Friday, February 20, 2009, at York Hospital. He is named after my maternal grandfather, Philip Johnson, and my paternal great-grandfather Henry Christian Birx. He weighs 7 lbs, 6.6 ounces and is 19 1/2 inches long. Sharon thinks he looks most like Lydia did. He has taken readily to nursing and gives every indication of a healthy baby. We ask ourselves why God should choose to bless us with yet another healthy child. Life is never certain, but it is certain that we could know so many more trials than we do.

Our baby girl holding our baby boy.

Nannie and the baby. (Sharon's mom came up on Wednesday to
hold down the fort while we were gone.)


Mama and the baby.


Brothers!


Life is so boring--I think I'll go back to sleep.


Such a tiny bundle.


Just hangin' around.


Can't I have chocolate milk instead?



I need somebody to keep me safe--this all looks new to me.


Big sister three times over.


Someday we will meet again. . .
I came across this picture of my Grandpa (Philip) Johnson and me from long ago. Even the joys of birth in this fallen world cannot come without twinges of sadness as we think back to those no longer here to share the joy with us. Even from Sharon's maternity room we look out from the upper floor down onto the York Nursing Home far below. I cannot help but think of the contrast between those who visit maternity wards and those who visit the nursing home. I don't mean to be melancholy, but I think of the day when the tears will be over and families will be together again. How we pray that all those in our earthly family will be found there on the other side.

4 comments:

  1. Nathan and Sharon - the pictures are great! Thanks for putting them up so quickly. It helps us feel like we are not so far away! Congratulations to both of you! Enoch & Sarah

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nathan! You made me tear up... happy tears of course! We are very excited to have a new nephew and to hear that everything went so well. Praise God!!! Give Sharon and the kids big hugs from us and your new little one, Philip, a little squeeze!! We love you all! Congratulations! God is so good!!
    Daniel, Laura & Girls

    ReplyDelete
  3. We are rejoicing with you all! What beautiful pictures of your newest little gift. Thanks for the poignant post! With much love,
    The Hartlands

    ReplyDelete