Friday, July 17, 2009

True and Undefiled Religion

When life goes through ups and downs, we often dwell on our own portion of the trouble that is every man's burden in this sinful world. As I sit here now it is with one leg propped up on a chair because of a badly sprained ankle yesterday. (I might get up more but the kids keep walking off with my crutches.) That means some time off from work--which also means time to sit and think. Today as I was reading from some of the blogs I appreciate I found a link to http://www.chinaorphans.org/ . If you are going through something right now that seems difficult (or even if you just find yourself sucked into the malaise of American Christianity), click on over to that site and you will find an abundance of things to put your mind off your own trouble and onto that of others. (Depending on your temperament, you may need some kleenexes.) I find it amazing how easily we are continually drawn into the "trials" of American life, or even the pleasures of American life; spending time at this site will help give a reality and priority check. I started to think--what am I really doing with this life of mine? Can I do something more to bless others? This is eternity we are trying to invest in here, and how often I settle for the porridge of Esau with my time and money. The musician Chris Rice has a song in which he speaks of anticipating heaven. One line in that song says, "freedom from myself will be the sweetest rest I've ever known." I felt a touch of that freedom while I read from this website.

The ministry described in this site is known as the Philip Hayden Foundation. The founders of the organization are a couple who had gone to teach English in China in 1988. While there their friend Philip Hayden introduced them to ministry to orphans. In God's providence, Philip died suddenly at the age of 28 from a rare, undiagnosed heart defect.

The website says this about Philip: Philip Hayden's love for the people of China was demonstrated in a quote he kept in his dresser drawer, which said,

"The greatest proof of Christianity for others is not how far a man can logically analyze his reasons for believing, but how far in practice he will stake his life on his belief." (T.S. Elliot)

Just some thoughts to think about.

1 comment: