I've been doing some reading in C. S. Lewis lately. I was aware of the book he wrote following his wife's death. In A Grief Observed, he chronicles the feelings and thoughts he had while in the fresh experience of her passing into glory. Naturally, when I wanted to get a copy I couldn't go to Amazon and get just that one book. A little searching led me to "The Complete C. S. Lewis Signature Classics," which is (as I discovered upon receiving it) a coffee table size book with marker ribbon. It contains 7 of his books.
A Grief Observed is a short book which I got through just last night. This morning I was reading in The Great Divorce, which is his story about an imaginary trip to heaven and hell. As with many of his books, he is not trying to describe either place as it truly is, but along the journey there is much truth to be gained about eternal realities. I've not gotten through the book yet--I'm sort of doing some touch-and-go flying through it--but a few sentences seem so poignant and fitting, especially considering the name of this little blog:
But Heaven is not a state of mind. Heaven is reality itself. All that is fully real is Heavenly. For all that can be shaken will be shaken and only the unshakeable remains.
C. S. Lewis, The Great Divorce, Chapter 9
A Grief Observed is a short book which I got through just last night. This morning I was reading in The Great Divorce, which is his story about an imaginary trip to heaven and hell. As with many of his books, he is not trying to describe either place as it truly is, but along the journey there is much truth to be gained about eternal realities. I've not gotten through the book yet--I'm sort of doing some touch-and-go flying through it--but a few sentences seem so poignant and fitting, especially considering the name of this little blog:
But Heaven is not a state of mind. Heaven is reality itself. All that is fully real is Heavenly. For all that can be shaken will be shaken and only the unshakeable remains.
C. S. Lewis, The Great Divorce, Chapter 9
No comments:
Post a Comment